The main function of a Mass Server is to assist the Priest (Celebrant) in the Catholic Liturgy.
Some of the Mass Servers responsibilities:
- carry in the cross and processional candle at the beginning of the Mass
- hold the Sacramentary (red book) for the Celebrant as he reads from it
- assist the Celebrant when he receives the gifts of bread, water and wine from the Gift Bearers
- wash the hands of the Celebrant prior to the Eucharistic prayers
- offer other assistance to the Celebrant as necessary.