Unfortunately, this program is not available at this time.
New Pathways partners with area churches so families with children have a safe place to stay. The area churches provide shelter, meals and compassionate care for families who find themselves suddenly homeless in our community. The Brainerd Area Catholic Churches is one of the 13 churches in the Central Minnesota having the opportunity to participate in this wonderful program. Each church in the network hosts families for one week approximately every three months. A host church furnishes clean, safe overnight lodging and nutritious meals. The families arrive daily at the host church at approximately at 4:45 p.m. and leave approximately at 8:00 a.m. the next morning. During the day the families are at the “Day Center”, where professional staff teach family members life skills and assists them in finding permanent housing and a job if needed. Over 70% of the families who participate in the New Pathways program find permanent housing!
Some ways you can volunteer with the New Pathways program are:
- Set up and take down cots and rooms for the families, usually done on Sunday’s, with a time commitment ranging from 1-3 hours (depending on number of families in program). To volunteer, contact Pam Levno at 218-764-3295.
- Transport families from the Day Center to Andrews; you can volunteer in a.m. or p.m., or both (time commitment is about a 1/2 hr per day - vehicle provided). To volunteer contact Doreen Tautges at 218-839-1789.
- Evening Host - befriend families from 4:30-8:30 p.m. To volunteer contact Kathy Roberts at 218-537-0309.
- Cook & serve a meal. To volunteer contact Pam Oslos 218-330-5337
- Overnight Host- befriend families from 8:30 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. the following morning. To volunteer contact Kathy Roberts at 218-537-0309.
Those who have volunteered with this program routinely indicate they receive far more benefit from their participation than they give. If you would like to have the opportunity to share in this wonderful ministry, or want more information about the program, please contact Melissa Fussy at 218-232-8146.
Your contribution to the Social Concerns fund helps to support this program.
Volunteer opportunities are available for the entire family! Here are some of our wonderful volunteers